Jazzed up Rice Pilaf
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Cup Mushrooms (various kinds/chopped)
1 Cup Celery (chopped)
1 Cup Carrots (chopped)
1/2 Cup Red Onion (minced)
2 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1 1/2 Cups Wild Rice Blend (Lundberg)
2 3/4 Cups Chicken Broth
1/3 Cup Dried Cranberries (chopped)
1/3 Cup Pistachios (chopped)
2 Tbsp Parsley (fresh and chopped)
1 Tbsp Lemon Zest (grated)
- Heat the Olive Oil in a medium size pan / skillet.
- Add the Mushrooms, Onions, Garlic and sauté until they begin to soften (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in the rice and cook for about 1 minute before adding the broth and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Check for doneness and extend the cooking time, or add some water, depending on the texture and taste preference of the rice (the brand of rice also makes a difference).
- When done, remove from heat; stir in the cranberries, pistachios and lemon zest. Let stand covered for another 10 minutes (minimum).