1/4 cup of butter (divided)
1 medium onion diced
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 15 oz can of tomatoes (pureed or diced)
1 small can of coconut milk (lite)
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of garam masala
4 chicken breasts (skinless / boneless)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons curry powder (medium)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in a deep skillet on medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and sauté for 15 minutes. Onions will caramelize (turn a dark brown in colour).
- Puree the tomato puree and the coconut milk in a blender
- Add the rest of the butter to the skillet , when melted add the puréed tomato/coconut milk , salt, cayenne pepper and garam masala. Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium / low and simmer for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, mix in a large bowl with vegetable oil and curry powder. Spread out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- While the butter sauce is simmering bake the chicken pieces for 15 minutes (until not pink inside). Add the chicken to the sauce for the last 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice along with papadoms.