Filet Mignon with Balsamic & Red Wine Reduction
2 Filet Mignon Steaks (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 Cup Red Wine
- Grind pepper over Filets. Note steaks should have been sitting out to come to room temperature prior to cooking – about 3o minutes. This is done so as not to ‘shock’ the meat into being tough if cooked right from a cool/cold state.
- In a cast iron skillet melt butter. When hot and butter begins to brown, add the steak.
- Sear on both sides for 1 minute each.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 4 minutes on each side.
- After the searing, add the balsamic and wine and allow this to cook and infuse during the additional 4 minutes per side cooking of the steak. Baste the steak with the glaze when the steaks are turned after 4 minutes on the 1st side.
- Remove steaks to a warmed plate for serving and add about 1 tbsp of the glaze for each steak.
- Serve with fingerling potatoes and a green vegetable of choice (asparagus, beans, spinach)