French Onion Soup
2. Tbsp. Butter
1/2 Purple Onion (large dice)
1/2 White Onion (large dice)
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
2 Stems Fresh Parsley
2. Bay Leaves
3 Cups Beef Stock
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce
1/2 Cup Red Wine
1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Baguette (torn into best size pieces)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 Tbsp Herb de Provence
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese (or Asiago)
1 Pkg Gruyere Cheese (or Swiss)
- Melt butter in a sauce pan, add the onions and sauté stirring occasional until they become caramelized, about 35 minutes.
- Tie the herbs and bayleaf together with twine to form a bouquet/bunch.
- Add the beef and chicken stock, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and bouquet of herbs. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, turn heat to low just to keep warm until ready to place in oven/broiler.
- Place the baguette pieces in a large bowl, toss with olive oil, herbs and salt and pepper. Spread onto a parchment lined baking sheet and place under the broiler (on middle rack) for about 4-5 minutes (watch closely). Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Put the onion soup into bowls with room left to place a layer of croutons on top of the broth.
- Use 1/4 cup per bowl, cover the croutons with mozzarella cheese and then place a slice of Gruyere cheese on top, overlap the edges of the bowl.
- Top with a sprinkling of smoked paprika.
Place in the oven (350) for 10 minutes to melt the cheese then under the broiler (top rack) for 2 minutes).