Golden Beet Soup
3 tbsp Butter
4 cups Golden Beats (peeled & diced) (reserve the green beet tops)
2 cups Onions (chopped)
1 Leek (chopped - white and light green parts)
1 tbsp Fresh Ginger (minced)
1 Zest from 1 lemon
6 cups Low Sodium Chicken broth
3 tbsp Lemon Juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium / low heat.
- Add the Leeks, Onions, Beets, Ginger and Lemon Peel
- Cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes (beets need to be tender)
- Puree soup using stick or blender until smooth and creamy.
Green Tops Accent:
- Slice enough green beet tops to make 1 cup.
- Wilt the greens in the microwave for 1 minute
- Add the beet tops to a blender and add 1/2 cup of the soup.
- Puree until smooth.
- Put about 1 cup of soup in each bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of the green beet tops to the centre of each bowl
- Swirl to ‘decorate’ the top of the soup.