Nutty Pumpkin Loaf
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup chopped pecans
2 tbsp raw unsalted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
2 tbsp brown sugar (packed)
1 pinch salt
2 tbsp crystallized ginger (diced)
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup all purposed flour (for gluten free just use all purpose gluten free flour 1 3/4 cups)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/3 cup white sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup pumpkin puree (canned)
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
- melt the butter in a skillet on medium. Add Almonds, pecans and green pumpkin seeds (Pepitas).
- sauté until nuts brown and the pumpkin seeds begin to pop (about 2 minutes)
- add the brown sugar and salt, stirring until the sugar melts and the nuts are coated.
- remove from heat and stir in the crystallized ginger. let the mixture cool in the skillet.
- preheat oven to 350 F and butter a loaf pan (or a 9″ square baking dish).
- in a small bowl whisk together the flours, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves (can be sifted too).
- in a large bowl beat the butter, white sugar, brown sugar and oil with a mixer until fluffy – about 1 minutes of mixing.
- add the pumpkin puree and mix until combined.
- add the eggs (one at a time) and continue to mix until everything is incorporated.
- reduce the mixer speed to low and and slowly add the flour mixture and butter milk and mix until everything is combined.
- stir in the walnuts and crystallized ginger
- pour the batter into the pan
- sprinkle the topping onto the batter and ‘gently’ pat the topping onto the mixture
- bake for about 1 hour (could take 1 1/4 hours) until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- cool before serving.