Oven Braised Beef Stew
2 1/2 lbs Stewing Beef
2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil (divided)
3 Tbsp Corn Starch
6 Cups Beef Stock - divided (reduced Sodium)
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tsp Rosemary (dried)
1 Tsp Parsley (dried)
1 Tsp Thyme (dried)
2 Bay Leaves
1 1/2 Cups Mushrooms (quartered)
2 large Carrots (diced into 1 inch pieces)
2 stalks Celery (diced into 1 inch pieces)
1 large Onion (cut into large dice)
2 cloves Garlic Minced
2 Potatoes (diced into 1 inch pieces)
1/2 Cup Peas
- Braise the stewing beef in a skillet with 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil.
- When browned, add the corn starch to coat the braised beef.
- While beef is browning, add 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil and the mushrooms to an oven proof roasting pan, and sauté until browned.
- Add the braised beef and 4 cups of the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, Rosemary, Parsley, Thyme and Bay Leaves to the roasting pan and stir to combine. Let boil, then reduce heat to medium / low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the carrots, celery, potatoes, onions and garlic to the stock along with the remaining 2 cups of broth. Mix well, cover and cook in oven for 1 hour.
- With 15 minutes remaining, remove the cover, add the peas and continue to cook for balance of 1 hour.
- Remove from oven, let stand covered for 15 minutes then serve with a baguette.