Potato Leek Soup
3 Tbsp Butter (I prefer unsalted)
3 Leeks (white and light green parts) chopped
3 Cloves Garlic (chopped)
6 Potatoes (I like Yukon Gold), about 2 1/2 lbs
chopped into cubes for easier cooking
8 Cups Chicken Stock (low sodium)
2 Bay Leaves
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
3 Grinds Salt
6 Grinds Pepper
1 Cup 35% Cream
3 Tbsp Chives chopped for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan.
- Add the chopped leeks and garlic, and cook until soft and wilted. Stir frequently, and don’t let them brown (adjust the heat if necessary).
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the chives). Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until the potatoes are soft to a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the Thyme sprigs and Bay Leaves and puree with an immersion blender until the soup is without chunks.
- Add the cream and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- You can thin the soup by adding more stock or water, or thicken it by adding more cream.
- When serving the soup, I like to drizzle some cream (about 1/2 tsp) over each bowl and add the chives.