Warm Lentil Salad
1 Cup Green Lentils (washed and rinsed)
2 Cups Low Sodium chicken broth (low sodium is preferred as lentils as well as capers will give a salty taste)
1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Bacon Bits (about 4 slices cut into small pieces)
1 Shallot (cut in half and thinly sliced)
2-3 Cloves Garlic (minced)
2 Sprigs Rosemary (stripped and chopped)
3 Sage Leaves (large, chopped)
2 Tbsp Capers (roughly chopped)
1/2 Cup Italian Parsley (leaves, roughly chopped)
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- Put the washed lentils into a small sauce pan and cover with the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until lentils are tender (not mushy) about 20 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and set aside.
- While the lentils are cooking, cook the bacon in a medium size skillet. Bacon should be cooked but not crispy.
- Add the shallots, garlic, rosemary and sage to the cut up bacon pieces. Cook for about 3 minutes to get the fragrant smell of the garlic and herbs.
- Remove from heat. Add the lentils to the pan.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients (oil, mustard and balsamic) together and stir into the bacon/lentils, then add the capers.
- Just before serving, stir in the parsley and serve.